We have partnered with the State of New Mexico Human Services Department (HSD) to ensure New Mexicans across the state are aware of the three-digit 988 crisis support lines availability to call, text, or chat with compassionate behavioral health professionals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The 988 resource is a free and easy to remember helpline that offers emotional support for crisis and non-crisis mental health, behavioral health, substance use and suicide concerns.
- The crisis support line beyond serving as a suicide line, it offers mental health support for all New Mexicans to utilize.
- 988 is a resource for people to have someone to call in the moment they need someone to talk to, offers referrals and information to the resources that are available beyond the call, and assists with coordinating someone to come to you when needed.
Please call, text, or chat 988 if you are:
- Feeling sad, confused, or angry
- Worried about your safety, or the safety of someone you know
- Have concerns about alcohol or drug use
- Need information or referrals for local community services
- Just need someone to talk to
People who call 988 to talk are given three options:
- Press 1) to connect with the veterans crisis line,
- Press 2) to connect with the Spanish subnetwork,
- Or remain on the line and be connected to a local crisis center.
- NOTE: If the caller speaks a language other than Spanish or English, then the call in centers use a language line to support the caller with an interpreter.
English speakers can also choose digital mental health support by:
- Text messaging the word “TALK” to 988 from your mobile phone (standard rates apply), or
- Chat is available through the Lifeline’s website at https://988lifeline.org/chat/
Know that HSD wants to ensure accurate messaging is being shared about 988 and has developed this toolkit. There are several resources in the toolkit which assist you in spreading the word about 988 across the various platforms available in the community and encourages all partners throughout New Mexico to help spread the word about this resource available for New Mexico’s diverse communities.
Thank you in advance for sharing these valuable materials and serving New Mexicans across the state. For more information visit 988nm.org